Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety Corporation (VMS-South), formerly known as Maritime Safety Company, founded on 03/10/1975. In 1983, it changed to Maritime Safety Company II under Directorate for Sea of Vietnam.
By 1997, Ministry of Transport decided to establish the State-owned Enterprise utility Vietnam Maritime Safety, under Vietnam Maritime Administration.
In 2005, Maritime Safety Company II was established on the basis of separation to Vietnam Maritime Safety under Vietnam Maritime Administration, then to May of 2010 which are converted into Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety One-member Co., Ltd.
On May of 2011, the consent of Prime Minister, Ministry of Transport has issued Decision No. 1099 / QĐ-BGTVT, formally established Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety Corporation with 18 members’ units located 3 blocks: maritime safety, pilot and salvage.
Currently, VMS-South has 10 departments, stations, 9 accounting units’ dependent, 5 One-member Co., Ltd, 2 JSC dominant capital (over 50% of capital) and 2 joint companies (mother company holds less than 50% of capital) based in the provinces: Ha Noi, Binh Dinh, Khanh Hoa, HCMC, Can Tho, Ba Ria – Vung Tau.